Trinity's Birth Story
Trinity was due July 19, 2002, so keep in mind I thought I had lots of time, especially since she was my first child. Chandler and Tevin's baptism was scheduled for July 6th at 7:00 pm, we were due back in court on July 11th to continue the case with Kristelle over our request to have the child support reduced (she was countering for a raise!), and we received notice that we had to be out of our house in Washington by July 11th, so we were busy packing and moving. (I was a good girl and only supervised. I didn't lift or pack or anything.)We werepretty much moved into our new apartment by Thursday the 4th, so we figured we'd just stay over there Friday night. I felt really good while we were watching fireworks with the boys from my grandparents' front lawn. We had parked at my folks house a few blocks away and walked down to Squire's. I even slept pretty well that night. Well, I lost my mucous plug Friday morning, so I called the doctor to see how much of a hurry I was in. He saw me at 1:00 that afternoon, and said that I would likely have the baby that weekend, but probably not until Sunday night, so to be sure and tell my boss that I wouldn't be in on Monday. My next scheduled appointment was on Tuesday, so I asked if I should just keep that appointment if I didn't have the baby by then. He said, "I'll see you this weekend," and left the room.
I worked the rest of the day, and Bret and I took one last load over to the apartment that evening. I wasn't feeling very well, but didn't think anything of it because it wasn't like the contractions I'd felt during my pregnancy, and it certainly wasn't painful...just kind of flu-ish. (I had always imagined that contractions would feel like really bad charlie horses across my stomach.) I wasn't feeling better by about 9:00, so I called my mom to see what she thought. She asked if there was anything to time. I said no, but that I was thinking about going down to the hospital anyway. That way they could tell me there was nothing going on, and to come back later when I was serious. I hung up with her, and asked Bret to give me a blessing. Then we left for the hospital. We arrived a little after 9:30 pm, and they hooked me up to the monitor. It was awful because I kept having to go to the bathroom, but the nurse did let me know that the waves of nausea I was feeling were actually contractions. (How bizarre!) She finally went to admit me a little after 10:30, and my water broke while she was gone. She let me go to the bathroom one last time "to get cleaned up" before we went to the delivery room. I asked if there was anything I could take for the nausea (like an anti-diarrhetic or something), so I could stand not to run to the bathroom every two minutes, and they gave me Nubain and Phenegren (sp?). All that did was make me VERY drowsy. I couldn't focus or stay awake! The lead nurse kept telling me that I was having a bunch of little contractions between the "real" ones that weren't doing anything but wearing me out, so she started the pitocin to "weed out" the contractions that weren't "real." We had filled out the papers for an epidural, but by the time they got the anesthesiologist called I was already at a 10, so they cancelled it. I now know what it feels like to HAVE to push. Four nurses and my husband were trying to help me breathe, so I wouldn't push until the doctor got there. I think he was there about 20 minutes before she was born. He got there in time to do the episiotomy and catch her--which I guess is his real job anyway. :) Her shoulder caught me just below where the episiotomy ended, and I got a 4th degree tear through the muscle. I don't know exactly what that means, but it must be fairly bad because the nurses all kept talking about it, and how I have to be more careful than most, and that is why the doctor wants to see me in only two weeks, etc.
Anyway, it was rough going for a while, but she was born quickly. Trinity Louise Orr arrived at 1:05 am on July 6, 2002,weighed 7 lbs 15 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. She is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me this far in my life!During my pregnancy I was worried whether I would love her. No question. I fell in love instantly! She is amazing! She was already lifting up her head when they brought her to me the first time, and she hasn't stopped working out since. She is so strong! She has a TON of black hair and is absolutely gorgeous! I hope she keeps her hair color. It's just like her daddy's. We still can't tell what color her eyes will end up, but we're pretty sure they'll either be brown like her dad's or blue like mine. (Ha! Ha!)
I worked the rest of the day, and Bret and I took one last load over to the apartment that evening. I wasn't feeling very well, but didn't think anything of it because it wasn't like the contractions I'd felt during my pregnancy, and it certainly wasn't painful...just kind of flu-ish. (I had always imagined that contractions would feel like really bad charlie horses across my stomach.) I wasn't feeling better by about 9:00, so I called my mom to see what she thought. She asked if there was anything to time. I said no, but that I was thinking about going down to the hospital anyway. That way they could tell me there was nothing going on, and to come back later when I was serious. I hung up with her, and asked Bret to give me a blessing. Then we left for the hospital. We arrived a little after 9:30 pm, and they hooked me up to the monitor. It was awful because I kept having to go to the bathroom, but the nurse did let me know that the waves of nausea I was feeling were actually contractions. (How bizarre!) She finally went to admit me a little after 10:30, and my water broke while she was gone. She let me go to the bathroom one last time "to get cleaned up" before we went to the delivery room. I asked if there was anything I could take for the nausea (like an anti-diarrhetic or something), so I could stand not to run to the bathroom every two minutes, and they gave me Nubain and Phenegren (sp?). All that did was make me VERY drowsy. I couldn't focus or stay awake! The lead nurse kept telling me that I was having a bunch of little contractions between the "real" ones that weren't doing anything but wearing me out, so she started the pitocin to "weed out" the contractions that weren't "real." We had filled out the papers for an epidural, but by the time they got the anesthesiologist called I was already at a 10, so they cancelled it. I now know what it feels like to HAVE to push. Four nurses and my husband were trying to help me breathe, so I wouldn't push until the doctor got there. I think he was there about 20 minutes before she was born. He got there in time to do the episiotomy and catch her--which I guess is his real job anyway. :) Her shoulder caught me just below where the episiotomy ended, and I got a 4th degree tear through the muscle. I don't know exactly what that means, but it must be fairly bad because the nurses all kept talking about it, and how I have to be more careful than most, and that is why the doctor wants to see me in only two weeks, etc.
Anyway, it was rough going for a while, but she was born quickly. Trinity Louise Orr arrived at 1:05 am on July 6, 2002,weighed 7 lbs 15 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. She is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me this far in my life!During my pregnancy I was worried whether I would love her. No question. I fell in love instantly! She is amazing! She was already lifting up her head when they brought her to me the first time, and she hasn't stopped working out since. She is so strong! She has a TON of black hair and is absolutely gorgeous! I hope she keeps her hair color. It's just like her daddy's. We still can't tell what color her eyes will end up, but we're pretty sure they'll either be brown like her dad's or blue like mine. (Ha! Ha!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home