Spot
I forgot Spot! Last Saturday was the area Adopt-A-Thon. We have been wanting to get another dog, so Roake (our Australian Shepherd/Border Collie) could have a friend. Bret and I took the girls to see the doggies, hoping that one would catch our eye and be good with the girls, etc. We looked at several, and even took a couple for walks. One of these was Spot. She's a cute lab-mix about a year old. They had her down as a Lab/Dalmation, but she is too sweet to be a Dalmation. (Sorry for any Dal-lovers out there, but I've only known tempermental ones...emphasis on the mental.) Besides, what I think they were looking at as Dalmation spots are really freckles. Her coat is rather like that of a Dalmation: short-hair, etc. Other than that, though, she is not. OK. Enough with the questionable breed stuff...except to say that we think she is part Pointer. She is black and white, tall and skinny--so she fits in really well with our family. hahaha I will get some pictures of the dogs to put on here as well. I will have a foto-fest post here soon.
Trinity and Temira kept going back to her, which was a good sign to Bret and me. We thought she was the one, but we had to be sure how she felt about the girls, and visa versa. Bret asked them if they liked her, and some pretentious, eves-dropping volunteer said, "The more important question is do YOU like her?" Bret replied, "I wouldn't be asking them about her if I didn't." Duh! It would have been different if it were one of the REAL animal people asking, but it was just some lady there to walk the dogs. We had to do a questionnaire and pre-pay for her spay before we could take her, but then we were free to fly. She was a little nervous in the car at first, but once Bret rolled down the window, she was fine.
The next obstacle was seeing if Roake would take to her. Bret went into the backyard and put his leash on him before I took her back to meet him. They were more cordial than I thought they would be, so we let them off their leashes and went inside. The only times Roake got growly at her were when she ate his food (the boys have since put bowls out for each of them), and when Temira stood at the door/window (French doors) to watch them. Spot went toward the door to check her out, and Roake got inbetween Spot and the door. He yelled at her not to hurt his kids, and she barked back to chill out, she was only looking, and besides, they were her kids now, too! (Call me Dr. Doolittle, that is what they said!) Anyway, they are great friends now.
Yesterday Spot treed a mouse, and Roake helped her keep it there. It was too funny, but added to our belief that she is a Pointer. She loves playing in the little wading pool in the backyard, and has even gotten Roake to take a bath! So far we like the influence she has on Roake. He is a lot calmer, and hasn't been digging under the fence since she got here! It seems to me that she is the new boss. As long as they agree and get along, I don't care who is in charge!
Trinity and Temira kept going back to her, which was a good sign to Bret and me. We thought she was the one, but we had to be sure how she felt about the girls, and visa versa. Bret asked them if they liked her, and some pretentious, eves-dropping volunteer said, "The more important question is do YOU like her?" Bret replied, "I wouldn't be asking them about her if I didn't." Duh! It would have been different if it were one of the REAL animal people asking, but it was just some lady there to walk the dogs. We had to do a questionnaire and pre-pay for her spay before we could take her, but then we were free to fly. She was a little nervous in the car at first, but once Bret rolled down the window, she was fine.
The next obstacle was seeing if Roake would take to her. Bret went into the backyard and put his leash on him before I took her back to meet him. They were more cordial than I thought they would be, so we let them off their leashes and went inside. The only times Roake got growly at her were when she ate his food (the boys have since put bowls out for each of them), and when Temira stood at the door/window (French doors) to watch them. Spot went toward the door to check her out, and Roake got inbetween Spot and the door. He yelled at her not to hurt his kids, and she barked back to chill out, she was only looking, and besides, they were her kids now, too! (Call me Dr. Doolittle, that is what they said!) Anyway, they are great friends now.
Yesterday Spot treed a mouse, and Roake helped her keep it there. It was too funny, but added to our belief that she is a Pointer. She loves playing in the little wading pool in the backyard, and has even gotten Roake to take a bath! So far we like the influence she has on Roake. He is a lot calmer, and hasn't been digging under the fence since she got here! It seems to me that she is the new boss. As long as they agree and get along, I don't care who is in charge!

2 Comments:
At 8:15 PM,
Hillary said…
wow! Two dogs seems to be better than one, huh? I don't know how you do it! I feel like I've got my hands full with just two kids!
At 2:20 PM,
Mom to 3 T's said…
In answer to mes soeurs: Yes, two dogs are better than one, but now they both cry at the door when it's time for a walk, or time to eat, or time to play, or whenever they feel like it! It's been fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home